truvy 
  corner   



HOME

ARCHIVES


"There are some pretty sick tickets in this town!" - and baby, I'm just one of them!

 

Monday, August 04, 2003

 

Let's talk about the weather

I find myself so uninspired as of late.
I think being out of work is starting to work my nerves.
I was doing some legal work for a gay publication that shall remain nameless, to protect just myself,
and it's turned ugly. My former semi-friend/acquaintance that was put in as president/publisher freaked out,
I'm not doing work for them any more, and now they're giving me a hard time about my bill, which by the way,
was a total bargain in legal fees for them.
Without getting into too many details, I think this person is an uneducated, unsophisticated flake with Very Big
Ideas, but without the smallest clue of how to implement them, and with even less idea on how to run a business.
However, running the business & advising on that was not my job - providing legal service was, and that's what I did.
I don't understand why things turned sour (well, lack of effective communication on their part was part of it -
said person thinks he's playing some grand "scheme" game constantly, and guards information, parsing it out
in pieces to parties in some random fashion), but I can't say I'm surprised.
As it's been proved to me in the past, I should always listen to my instincts, and my gut told me that this would not
work out - but I didn't want to believe it initially.
Oh well, too bad.
But I will sue their asses and take up much more of their time and legal fees than it's worth in real monetary value if they don't pay my bill promptly. Luckily my partner is also an attorney, and a litigator. He'll help me with all the filings and motions & arguments if the need arises - for free of course, so my legal resources are basically unlimited.
What makes me really angry about the situation is the insinuation that I billed them too much, or for things that I should not have done. I am extremely careful about time & billing - and I even discounted the time I spent on a lot of their things, because, well, I thought I was being nice by only charging them a little over half of the time I spent - being insecure already about working on my own.
Again, we'll have to see how this pans out.
I'll keep you posted.
My biggest relief is that another friend did Not take a job with these bozos, after being offered a position. I think I would have felt like shit if he had been stuck in this place. (yea that you didn't grrl)
So, I've been doing things like lots of planning - trips of course. RJ and I are visiting Peter & Ken in LA this weekend, and I'm really looking forward to that! Then, we're off to Italy Labor Day week for a wedding in Tuscany (both of these planned before I was laid off), and we really need to get on the ball & plan some details of what we're doing after the wedding - where to go, day trips, etc.
And, I've just confirmed a trip to Sydney to visit Woody, Christopher & Peter there for a few weeks - I'm going to stay with them (being passed around ;) don't you know) and just hang out for a while. I figured, why the hell not? I don't know what my next step is going to be with respect to a job or working for myself, but who knows when I'll be able to take a few weeks off again?

So much else to blog about, and again, I just haven't felt inspired.
Robert's 40th birthday party was a huge smash success, and everyone had a great time! It was really a fun fun party, and I'm so happy we did it. I'll post some pictures when I've had the chance to re-size them, because as I've learned, our cameras take MONSTER photos that are way too big.
Well, until then, wish me luck with the billing thing, and drop me a note to cheer me up.



<



This page is powered by Blogger.