truvy 
  corner   



HOME

ARCHIVES


"There are some pretty sick tickets in this town!" - and baby, I'm just one of them!

 

Monday, July 14, 2003

 

Hello World

Yes, I’ve been gone for a while, more mentally than physically, but a bit in vivo too.
Lots has happened since Pride, but I’ve not felt really compelled to write about it.
And when I did, well, Blogger ate my homework twice, and I didn’t have the heart to try to recreate. So, when it happened again today, I said, “Rob, will you please just fucking type your posts in Word, and then cut & paste? M-kay?”
So, that’s what I’ll try from now on.

This whole not working thing has been both fun and tiring.
I’ve managed to fill the days with this and that – a lot of planning, which is what I do best. Planning for RJ’s 40th birthday party, planning for our trip to LA LA land to see Peter (& Kenny) and the dogs, planning on a wedding trip to Italy, planning a possible trip to Australia if I can crash with my friends there, and, oh yeah, planning what the next step in my career is going to be.
Of course, that last one, the career thing, has not been front & center. It’s a bit daunting, ya know? I have continued to do some work for my friend’s magazine, but I haven’t billed them anything yet. I kind of wanted to get myself set up & organized first – I need to form an LLP, get malpractice insurance (how much? Gulp… baby, maybe I should just sit on the couch & eat bon-bons instead).
And, well, another opportunity seems to be presenting itself – in the form of a new restaurant, catering & foods business that a friend of mine wants to create. Daniel has some major talent in the kitchen, and really is at the point where he needs to strike out on his own, and he’s asked me to be his counsel. Of course, I’ll be working for a stake in the company, and not dollahs, so it’s a good thing this is happening when I’m just about to get my 1st installment of my severance payment (tomorrow, which is my birthday, hint hint hint hint – in case you want to send birthday wishes to me at robc212@aol.com).

As Gene would say, the Universe is Opening Up for Me, I just have to be brave enough to jump in and move forward. *Deep breath* *splash*.

Lots of activities in the past few weeks, but here are some highlights:

I went dancing at Alegria with Jared & Tom – fun fun fun! As usual lots of hot guys and great music.

Robert and I went to see Big River, but didn’t enjoy it and left at intermission. The sign language interpretation (it’s being done in conjunction w/ the Deaf West Theater) was interesting, but I felt it allowed the hearing actors to just sign and not have to act – their performances were all a bit forced. I felt a bit guilty about not liking it, but hey, I can't be PC all the time, can I? And I even sign some (just a little), so I think I was getting more out of it than some of the audience...

We had a fabulous 4th of July weekend with Gene & Caper upstate at the house – 3 guys & 2 dogs, who could ask for anything more? We saw a production of Evita at the Forestburg Playhouse – my very 1st summer stock production & it was fun. We also saw Karen Akers at the Bradstan Inn Cabaret, and she was dramatic & fabulously entertaining. We got to spend some time with our new friends Doug & Steve, and also met our new neighbors – a charming boy-girl couple from the UWS with twin 10-year old daughters who were delightful in every way.

I spent a few days on Fire Island with Sheldon & John at their gorgeous house on the ocean, and got some much needed sun (but not on the new tattoo, don’t worry).

Cissy and I went to see our friend Richard in Naked Boys Singing, and didn’t tell him we would be there. Well, since we were front & center he couldn’t help but see us, and was DI-rectly in front of us at the part where they swing their cocks back & forth in the number “Gratuitous Nudity”. What a fun night! It really is a funny show, and the nudity is played with in a variety of ways. Go see it this summer if you haven’t already.

Robert and I saw The Bad Friend at Lincoln Center with our friends J & Michael (really strong performances by Jan Maxwell & Kala Savage), and then had a great dinner at Rosa Mexicana afterwards. Their fresh guacamole – mmmm.

This past weekend I went upstate early, so I could pick up RJ’s birthday present – an antique mission bookcase, and I also got a set of 4 quirky antique arts & crafts chairs & a Victorian plant stand while I was there. We went into PA to see our friends Ariane & Abid at their house on Lake Wallenpaupack, and picked up another purchase – a file cabinet that I needed for the office. You know, when they’re the same price as new ones, I don’t see why people don’t buy antiques more often.

Well, anyway – here I am, and that’s what I’ve been up to.
Wish me a happy birthday (33 – if I were a Hobbit, this would be a big one, right?), and if you’re around, let’s get together for lunch.




<



This page is powered by Blogger.