|
HOME
ARCHIVES
"There are some pretty sick tickets in this town!" - and baby, I'm just one of them!
|
|
Friday, June 20, 2003
Sign o' the times
What a tumultuous week, dear readers and friends.
It started with a busy weekend, going up to the house with our dear friends Ross & John. The last time they had been upstate with us was the weekend immediately after 9/11, so it was both more fun and a sobering reminder of that time.
Sunday morning we left early to drive back to the City and then continue on to Fire Island to attend the 40th birthday party of our friend Clarence, who with his boyfriend recently moved to San Diego. So it was a special treat to see them both, and a reminder of how gorgeous it is at the beach on a sunny day (which we've had all too few of around here).
We followed that up with the midnight show of Broadway Bares.
Pure, sexual energy flowing from those amazingly hot and talented dancers!
For those guys & gals to do 8 shows a week AND find the time to put together a flawless performance like this is really amazing.
I can't wait for next year's show, and now my goal is to have the body of one of those dancers.
Monday night was Chorus rehearsal, preparing for our Wednesday concert.
Tuesday, I thought the most stressful part of my day would be completing the negotiations of an engagement letter on an early conference call (which I must say I handled remarkably well - forcefully but nicely making our positions understood & accepted), and then leaving in time to make it to our dress rehearsal uptown at Riverside Cathedral.
The day, it turned out, held a bit more for me.
At about 12:30, I was called into a conference room and LAID OFF.
Yes, I am one of the newly unemployed, joining the ranks of so many of my friends.
"The bank has had a few bad years, ....blah...blah...blah... and I have to tell you that today is your last day at UBS."
I'm still recovering from the shock.
Well, really, I had a premonition. I heard a rumour of 5-10% cuts across the board, and the second I did, I thought "it's going to be me". However, I had rationalized myself out of that, since I've been super busy and working my ass off, and my colleague is about to go on maternity leave.
Simply put, I was wrong.
However, like a trooper I went to a very good dress rehearsal with Greg Louganis narrating Oliver Button is a Sissy, and playing the role of Ms. Leah, the dance teacher (you say you want Fame? well Fame costs, and right here's where you start payin', with Sweat!).
Wednesday night the entire Chorus turned in a fabulous performance at Carnegie Hall, capping a very nice year for us.
Now, however, the reality of being unemployed is beginning to sink in.
What to do with my days?
Well, today I'm getting a haircut, tanning (as I always try to do post-haircut), and having lunch w/ a friend. And of course, going to the gym.
I plan on obtaining the body of a god that I've always dreamed about.
So support me in that, ok? When you see or e-mail me, ask me what I did that day at the gym. If the answer is "nothing", smack me around.
Oh, and I've made an appointment to get a nice big tattoo on my back next Thursday.
But beyond that... I dunno.
Suggestions are happily taken.
posted by Rob Cordell
7:25 AM
<

|