|
HOME
ARCHIVES
"There are some pretty sick tickets in this town!" - and baby, I'm just one of them!
|
|
Sunday, June 29, 2003
Happy Pride!
Hi Everyone!
Happy Pride to you all! I'll be marching today with the New York City Gay Men's Chorus (for the 5th year in a row - wow how time flies), so keep an eye out for me if you're in New York.
And this also - my first (or second, I think there was another time) mention in the Homo Dish of HX.
Mama's movin' on up boys, so step out the way!
The universe is opening up for me, and being laid off was the kick in the ass I needed to make it all happen.
The next mention will be for something more substantive, I promise.
Homo Dish - HX Pride Issue
On Wednesday evening, we got our culture at the latest concert by the New York City Gay Men’s Chorus. The special guest star of the night at Carnegie Hall, titled Pride for All Ages, was author, actor and four-time Olympic Gold medal-winner Greg Louganis. No, he didn’t wear his Speedo, but he was still gorgeous. And we didn’t just hear the Men’s chorus - the concert also introduced the debut performance of the Youth Pride Chorus, comprised of talented young singers of ages 14 to 22. YPC is a joint effort by The LGBT Community Center’s Youth Enrichment Services program and the New York City Gay Men’s Chorus. The concert also featured the beautiful music of the Lesbian and Gay Big Apple Corps, the premier queer symphonic and marching band. Michael Osso was a superb lead vocalist in the extravagant opening number, “Oliver Button Is a Sissy,” based on the classic book by Tomie DePaola. A bejeweled Clover Honey made an appearance on stage with Interim Executive Director Clayton Phillips, and at the concert’s end, Artistic Director and Conductor Maestro Jeffrey Maynard and the rest of the company took bows to a rousing standing ovation!
After the concert, everyone headed downtown to xl (including xl manager Eddie Ruiz who’s a baritone in the chorus) for a fun-filled after-party in the upstairs lounge. Tobell von Cartier was on hand to greet the singers and their guests, before getting her glitz on with the weekly Tobell Show. Chorus tenor Rob Cordell (a.k.a. Miss Ann Thrope, former reigning Queen of the Chorus) won the Best Body Contest in Tobell’s show - apparently he’s more than just a pretty voice. Seen: Leslie Downs, Brett Oberman, Tom McGills, Barry Z, Paul Maulucci, John Nieman, Howie V, Jeff Lettier, Dan Diggles, Tim Baros, Morgan Rice and Gary Armstrong.
Now, of course a small disclaimer - I won the body contest because the vote was audience response, and I knew more than half of xl that night (since they were Chorus boys and friends), and I was "forced" to do the contest by Tobell, and being a sometimes drag queen myself, honey, you just don't say "no" when a drag queen pulls your ass up on a stage - she's just there trying to entertain the folks, and so, in the spirit of fun, I just went along with it. There were definitely 2 other boys who had lovely bodies, but hey, I guess it pays to know TONS of people sometimes!
posted by Rob Cordell
7:32 AM
<

|