truvy 
  corner   



HOME

ARCHIVES


"There are some pretty sick tickets in this town!" - and baby, I'm just one of them!

 

Thursday, December 19, 2002

 

Why I sing...

The Advocate has a great interview online here - about the 4 gay filmmakers that are responsible for the upcoming Chicago film.
One of them is talking about musicals, and it describes how I feel about singing (sometimes). To me, the perfect world would be one in which you could be walking down the street or through the train station or even the office, and burst into song - and everyone around you would back you up or join in the Chorus and it would all be choregraphed perfectly.

These are quite literally the most exciting dreams I have. I stage and choreograph huge HUGE DeMille-sized production numbers - singers, dancers, props, the whole works. Everyone is singing, it's Wagnerian, it's Broadway, it's a huge expression of everything I'm feeling.
I just wish I could translate them into waking memory...'now, how did that step go?'
Anyway, here's Neil Meron's quote - I can't wait to see the movie!

"MERON: Well, it’s the classic line about musicals, and I think both Craig and I fell under it. It’s that heightened emotional world where the emotions are running so high you can’t talk, and it leads you into song. That’s the feeling in any great musical. And to be able to feel that emotional response, to go up above the actual world of words to a different plane, it’s a great place to go to."



<



This page is powered by Blogger.