truvy 
  corner   



HOME

ARCHIVES


"There are some pretty sick tickets in this town!" - and baby, I'm just one of them!

 

Thursday, December 12, 2002

 

The Queen has left the building...

Ah, what a week, gentle reader, what a week!
The end of last week was spent in a frenzy of getting ready for the yearly retreat, where we rehearsed all weekend for the upcoming concert in Carnegie Hall on Tuesday the 17th - tickets still available...
But I digresssssssssssss.
Contrary to my best intentions, I was not able to go to the birthday dinner for my friend last Thursday, as I really didn't feel I could get a hold on everything I had to do if I was going to be gone for 4 hours. So, I begged off, and of course the friends were gracious and kind about it (but I still felt guilty), stopped answering the phone (I just couldn't speak to anyone but the dog at that point) and began piling crap in the middle of the living room to get an assessment:
wigs
gowns
jewelry
makeup
bras & boobies
hose & tights
cheerleader skirt, pom pons, decorated sweatshirt (we did a scene from Bring it On! don'tcha know), keds
computer to run the year-end video
music & folders
conga to lend the percussionists for the African number
programs for the No-Talent Show - 350 copies
Lyric Sheets that I had typed up of all the words of our songs - 200 copies
various other things - nails, brushes, compacts, purses, emergency kits
boy clothes - oh yeah, I was going to be there as a boy for most of the weekend - almost forgot about that

I made lists, checked them twice, make that thrice & four times, as I was sure I'd forget something.
Oh yeah - cds for background music, entrance music, etc., etc.
Well, after I put the model helicopter together (as if anyone needed reminding of my more-fabulous-than-you entrance by helicopter last year), it was WELL past midnight, and mama was tired, and the dog didn't know what the fuck was going on. I had purposely not put anything in suitcases as to not freak the poor dear out, but he was still distressed by the piles of crap - knowing that I was surely going somewhere and leaving him behind like a bad daddy/mommy/whatever.
Friday morning pulled around & I was tired tired tired, but satisfied that things were pulled together.
I had to brush at least 6" (no, not AOL inches at that) off the top of the car & get my friend Bill to sit with the double-parked car while I loaded it up. Last thing was to pick up the newly-finished dresses from Philomena, and then a pleasant 2 1/2 hour drive to the country, complete with snow-covered trees & sloping hills, giving way to rolling steeper hills & finally the mountains. The conference center itself is rather could-be-any-medium-sized-hotel-like, but the setting is so nice, and the staff was super-friendly (especially the handsome catering manager, who it was rumoured, hooked up with one of our Chorines).
Friday I managed to get a massage, and woke myself snoring in the middle of the massage 3 or 4 times. Oops - oh well, I guess it was relaxing. Friday night was a rush of getting people registered, helping a little with Chorus goody-bags, getting people tech-rehearsal schedules for the No-Talent Show, and generally running around until late.
Saturday was more rehearsing, more running around, 5 minute lunches & dinners while running off to get the tech-runs done for the show, and then finally getting dressed myself for the show. Robert and Rowan (bark!) even showed up for the show, which was a first, and was a lot of fun. Everyone adores them both.
My first outfit was a 60's, Audrey Hepburn inspired dress with little sleeves - green 2 layers with the overlayer being burnt velvet (in a floral pattern) in dark green over a lighter green, the skirt just past the knee with a Big crinoline. Very fun, and I wore my "Kirstie Alley hair" with it, the crown (for the last time), and the royal necklace. The scepter, royal gong, helicopter, and of course my Butch, Sir Marc, preceded me on the Entrance.
I quickly changed into the cheerleading outfit, and then 5 past queens, one humpy boy, and I did our Cheer, gently poking fun at the Queens in general, and Witti and Loralei in particular, and it got big big laughs.
I changed into my final dress, which was a copy of Rosemary Clooney's dress from White Christmas - the black one with the fishtail bottom she wears when she comes back to NY and sings "Love, you didn't do right by me" in the nightclub. Of course, mine wasn't so low-plunging, but was gorgeous and elegant, if I may so, and I think I may since I didn't make them and I was really just so thrilled with how they turned out. The show ended right at 11, just as it was supposed to - but it's the 1st time that's ever happened, as this usually goes on to all hours from delays & slowdowns & MTA transit strikes, etc. You get the idea - but everyone said "Well, that's Anne for you - she says 11, and dammit, she means 11." It really had more to do with the stage managers, Mark & Jim, and the tech people, Dee, Brian & Roger. Without them, there'd be no show - so a big thanks to them for all their work!
Witti, the "girl" I beat last year, won the title of Queen this year (her 4th year trying). It's a surprise up till the announcement, which makes the dress she chose to wear all the more weird - the Evil Queen from Snow White. Very strange, and we were all thinking, "I hope this is not a sign of things to come." I had several less charitable thoughts, but banished them of course, as a lady does at times like that. My closest friends razzed me a bit for the look on my face when I crowned Witti as the new Queen. I was shocked, because I was going for "serene & placid", which I think I achieved, but the girls & boys I know best all caught a glimpse of maybe just a wee bit of distaste - I think it was her dress more than anything that put me off. Whatever - it's over and done, and I'm glad not to be Queen anymore. It was fun some of the time, and a lot of work quite a lot of the time, but overall a fun & good experience.
After the show & saying hello & goodbye to everyone, I de-dragged & hauled my ass down to the indoor pool for a little skinny-dipping with the boys. About 20 of us were swimming, and it was a lot of fun - friendly & flirtatious, but not too sexual as to make anyone uncomfortable - ya know? Just like friends hanging out nude & checking each other out in a fun & friendly way. I've a feeling, since it was so Talked About, that next year everyone is going to want to join in, and it will lose something of the spontaneity and light-heartedness. Oh well.
Sunday we had more rehearsal & a run-through of the show, which went very well I thought. I need to memorize more music, but we'll all pull it together, I'm sure.
Work, like I said, is Very Busy, and I don't have time to do things I need to do - like Blog, write my Christmas letter, get a Christmas photo together, send cards, shop, etc. This weekend I'm staying in town to do all that - so if you're around & want to get together for a drink - drop me a note.
M'kay?



<



This page is powered by Blogger.