|
HOME
ARCHIVES
"There are some pretty sick tickets in this town!" - and baby, I'm just one of them!
|
|
Thursday, December 19, 2002
Okay, now they can say it
"We WILL Rebuild" was a cry heard almost immediately after the September 11th attacks.
I think the cry was so loud and so vehement to cover the cries and horror felt by the City and the world, but even so, at the time it filled me with a horror of another sort - that we were going to have to live with some collective knee-jerk reaction and showing of defiance. Yeah, easy to say "We will rebuild", but try looking down your street everyday and seeing whatever they came up with.
But now, I think they can say it & mean it. The plans unveiled yesterday for rebuilding the WTC site include some really remarkable, innovative, creative & bold ideas. I really can't decide which one I like best, but I think I'm leaning towards the one by United Architects - the cathedral-like space created by the surrounding buildings is fabulous, and the curves and twists of the towers are so gorgeous - it would be I think a little like the top of the Louis Vuitton building on 57th, but on a HUGE and grand scale.
Please check out the New York Times articles and interactive show of the plans - really interesting stuff.
Thanks Walt for bringing the interactive part to my attention!
posted by Rob Cordell
8:24 AM
<

|