|
HOME
ARCHIVES
"There are some pretty sick tickets in this town!" - and baby, I'm just one of them!
|
|
Tuesday, December 17, 2002
Because I've already cried enough
Okay, Michael made me cry up a storm this morning, getting all snotty & phlegmy before I have to sing this afternoon & tonight - but Thank You for such a moving story. You constantly move me. I hope I have the privilege of meeting you one day.
Anyway, as I'm getting ready for this concert, there's this song that moves me so deeply. I really haven't discussed it with anyone, but to me, it's the song someone terminally ill (implicitly for us, with AIDS, but not necessarily) is singing to their lover. It reaches down into my soul, twists me, pulls me, rips me apart. I've got to suppress all that tonight, because it's not about me, it's about delivering this gorgeous song to the public.
The song is called "Sing me to Heaven", by Daniel W. Gawthrop. We're recording this concert tonight (our 1st Live from Carnegie Hall recording), and I pray we do it the justice it so richly deserves. Copyrighted material follows:
In my heart’s sequestered chambers lie
truths stripped of poet’s gloss
words alone are vain and vacant
and my heart is mute
In response to aching silence memory summons half-heard voices
And my soul finds primal eloquence
and wraps me in song.
If you would comfort me, sing me a lullaby
If you would win my heart, sing me a love song.
If you would mourn me and bring me to God,
Sing me a requiem, sing me to heaven.
Touch in me all love and passion, pain and pleasure,
Touch, touch in me grief and comfort;
Love and passion, pain and pleasure
Sing me a lullaby, a love song, a requiem
Love me, comfort me, bring me to God:
Sing me a love song,
Sing me to heaven.
posted by Rob Cordell
8:50 AM
<

|