truvy 
  corner   



HOME

ARCHIVES


"There are some pretty sick tickets in this town!" - and baby, I'm just one of them!

 

Thursday, October 10, 2002

 

A Musical of Importance

Last night I saw "A Man of No Importance" with Roger Rees and Faith Prince. Book by Terrence McNally, lyrics by Lynn Ahrens and music by Stephen Flaherty, direction by Joe Mantello - these 4 working in conjunction create some high expectations, and they did NOT disappoint.
Wonderful stuff!
I loved the movie, starring Albert Finney, and the musical was really superbly adapted. I was moved to tears a few times, and laughed and smiled broadly many more times. The entire cast is strong, with Mantello directing them to bring out the intriguing aspects of each character - not just the leads. Rees was great, Prince was her stellar self (bringing to life the juiciest parts of the sister and wowing us with her wonderful voice, as usual!) and the handsome actor who played Robby was really quite powerful (forgive me for not finding his name...) in both voice and stage presence.
I strongly recommend that you see this show - I bet you they move it to the larger theater upstairs (the Beaumont) or to another, larger Broadway theater, now that the (why-did-this-win-best-musical?) Contact has closed.



<



This page is powered by Blogger.