truvy 
  corner   



HOME

ARCHIVES


"There are some pretty sick tickets in this town!" - and baby, I'm just one of them!

 

Monday, October 21, 2002

 

It's never what you think it will be

Reunions.
I don't know why I let myself have any expectations - but against all odds I envision some Hallmark moment where you connect with someone with whom you've lost touch, spending some quality time with old friends, reminiscing about days gone by.
My 10th from SMU was okay - I did have a nice time, but it really wasn't all that. On the whole, I'd rather have stayed home, seen the amazing fall colors & put the storm windows on the house.
Some thoughts:
1. 5 year reunions are too soon after graduation. No one has anything to say.
2. 10 year reunions start to show some change & you get lots of kids & pictures and you're still young enough to go out and drink too much, carousing with your friends.
3. No one "new" had come out, which was disappointing. I think that one girl I kinda knew was there with her pregnant lesbian lover (I love saying that, "lesbian lover" "lesbian lover" "lesbian lover" - kind of like "male model" - totally unnecessary generally to say it all, but a little fun anyway). I tried to say hi and find out the scoop, but she was putting out serious anti-social vibes.
4. I was, as usual, disappointed by the people who did Not show up - our class president, several good friends, fraternity brothers on whom I had crushes... rude of those crushes not to show up, don't you think?
5. I was ready to break the ribs of the man sitting next to me on the plane if he didn't stop encroaching on my space. He almost tried to start conversation, but my icy stare shut him down very quickly. Now, if he had been cute... But that never happens to me.
6. I leave in 8 days for Australia, and I have SO MUCH TO DO before then - not least of which is take care of my absentee voting. My voice should be heard - shrieking and shrill though it may be.
7. It was very nice to get home - especially when my man & dog met me IN the airport! My heart danced with joy at the sight of both of them.



<



This page is powered by Blogger.