truvy 
  corner   



HOME

ARCHIVES


"There are some pretty sick tickets in this town!" - and baby, I'm just one of them!

 

Tuesday, October 08, 2002

 

I'm a tequila banana and I'm here to say

Yes, I know, the original line doesn't really work our South of the Border neighbor's elixir into the lyrics, but hey...
I have decided that no matter how much I like tequila (anejo, please), I had better Never ever mix it with anything else ever again.
Dining on catfish tacos Saturday at Gene's, while allowing the dogs to re-acquaint themselves and for Rowan to get his bearings, since he'll be spending almost 3 weeks (!) there with Caper & Gene, we started off innocently with a Corona or 2. Well, Evilina, posing as my friend Gene, started pouring me tumblers full of anejo tequila, saying "You don't have to finish it!"
True enough, but words unheeded by my continuing state of inebriation and my thirsty tongue.
As I watched the colors swirl before me, experiencing the joys of a Moulin Rouge DVD for the 1st time, my hand kept straying back to the glass, which miraculously was filled several times.
In high spirits, by the time I stood up to leave for a night of carousing in the East Village, it was far too late.
I stumbled down the stairs and into the semi-crisp night air, but I could feel nothing but my thickened senses themselves.
We went to some bar (Starlight maybe - wasn't the Cock, that's for sure), and Gene proceeded to try to sober me up a little with water after water after water. I remember giving some very handsome boy with a sexy beard several flirtatious smiles (they were probably more like drunken leers, but they felt like smiles at the time), and I remember thinking life would be much better if I just threw up & got this shit out of my system. Ah, but it wasn't really meant to happen.
I think after not very long at all we gave up on enjoying the evening like normal people (or at least I was not normal), and went back to the East EAst EAST Village to retrieve the pups. Rowan and I had a nice long walk back to the apartment, and I just about made it home when I decided to detour for pizza. On 5th Avenue between 11th & 12th, I met my match.
Yes, a bump in the sidewalk (I'd like to think it an invisible banana peel, designed to slip me up) had the upper hand on me ladies and gentlemen, and Grrl went Down like a felled tree in the wake of the Bush environmental "protection" agency. It was all so fast - ya know? One second I'm happily walking along, the next I'm face down on the sidewalk.
Luckily I neither landed on the dog, nor did I let go of the leash - so even though my sudden appearance on Rowan's eye level startled him a bit - he was no worse for the wear.
I, on the other hand, am bruised and sore in several key places - namely my right wrist & left knee.
It didn't occur to me until the next morning that I was literally "falling down drunk".
I'm truly embarrassed, and wish that my behavior had been in all instances a bit more towards moderation.
Who knows, I could have ended up playing kissy face with some hot bearded boy instead of sprawled on the sidewalk like a cheap drunk.



<



This page is powered by Blogger.