|
HOME
ARCHIVES
"There are some pretty sick tickets in this town!" - and baby, I'm just one of them!
|
|
Monday, September 09, 2002
Of Sun & Love
Like Belinda said, Vacation's all I ever wanted...
We had a fabulous time in P'town, and if I may be so bold as to borrow from Michael's style, I'll blog it all in one entry. I took my computer and meant to blog last week (and keep on top of the e-mail - yikes!), but I was just never inspired to sit my ass down & do it - too much fun in vivo I guess. Well anyway, here's all my pent-up thoughts.
///
Friday afternoon, I bolted out of the office nice & early - but at 4 pm I was practically the last one in the office. I went for a quick tanning session (I paid for 30 of them last fall & have about 20 of them left - oops) to add a little color to my florescent bulb glow, and then started packing. Since we were driving up, I decided to go the course of "if I think I want to take it - in it goes!" Thus, we had 3 big rolling duffel bags full of clothes, shoes, books, videos, beach stuff, cameras, etc., plus another ton of dog supplies, kitchen things and various & sundry other crap that I threw into waiting bags.
Of course all of this thoroughly freaked out my poor dog, who was convinced he'd be left all alone, and was highly distressed every time I stepped outside. I tried to reassure him by showing him his crate & all the toys & food I packed for him, and I think it actually worked!
///
Robert & I met Evan & Josh for dinner at Mi Cocina. I love those 2 boys, and it's always great to see them. It's funny, but we see each other & talk more now that they're in Chicago than we did when they lived here. They made vague promises of being back in NYC within the next 18 months. I'm counting...
///
Saturday morning was a blur - I wanted to be on the road by 6 a.m. in order to avoid the horrible traffic that can build up on I-95, and of course the Cape traffic is legendary, especially on a holiday weekend. It took me a good 1 or 2 minutes of looking around in a dazed state to realize: a) what time it was, and b) I had to get busy if I wanted to stick to that schedule. In my usual manner, I had already packed the car in my head, figuring out the correct spacial coordination of the luggage & dog crate, etc., while only having to put down one of the split-back seats on the Blazer. I did that IRL while RJ was walking the dog, who was still anxious and excited, but not overly so.
The drive was nice - a bit long at 5 1/2 hours total (but that's fabulous time for NYC to P'town ladies & gentlemen). We stopped only twice along the way, and RJ and Rowan drowsed in the passenger seat off & on the entire way, which was very nice to look over & see.
///
P'town - Hurray! We've arrived shortly before noon, but I overshoot the street where I should have turned (Cottage) and took West Vine instead - oops, one block too far, so I circle back around. Who should I see on Bradford? Yes, it was my Butch, Sir Marc and his boyfriend Richard, in their car Leaving P'town, having just been there for a week. We all pull over and hugs & kisses were exchanged, oh-what-a-small-gay-world's, and guess-who-else-is-here's, and my-what-a-nice-tan-you-haves were exclaimed, and they were off to Newport, RI for the day. We checked in the condo, and it was so cute! We were on Soper Street in the West End, and our place was the 2nd floor of a house, with a spiral staircase leading up to a private deck & nice views of the water. The inside was nicely appointed, with 1 real bedroom, 2 baths, and a larger part of the living room that could be closed off to make a 2nd bedroom, which would be used starting Wednesday by 2 of our friends.
RJ and I settled in, unpacked a bit & took a long stroll into town, with lunch at Bubbala's (you've never seen a piece of Cod so big - yum!) and ice cream at Binky's (co-owned by my friend Bill from the Chorus), and of course lots of cruising and eyeing the boys - so many of them and in all shapes & sizes! :)
///
We went to the beach on Sunday, and unfortunately, being the delicate flower that I am, I ripped my feet to shreds.
No really, I mean to shreds. I was walking a bit too aggressively on the sand, thinking how good this was on the feet (all that exfoliation!), but I blistered underneath the big toe & 2nd toe on Both feet, and on the left one the blister ripped open by the time I got to the beach. STUPID, party of one? OUCH, is all I have to say. From them on, there was no barefoot walking in the sand, and I walked kind of funny the rest of the trip (until yesterday actually). Not too awful really, but I did get a bit tired of all the band-aids.
///
We had several great meals in P'town - I just love eating, really I do. A major part of any vacation for me is the food - where to go to eat, or what to prepare if dining out is not in the cards. Food, home, comfort - I'm such a typical Cancer that way. But anyway - the food in P'town can be really good, and we were lucky to have some really great meals.
The Red Inn was fantastic (we ate there twice - try the Cod and the Scallops), as was Cafe Edwige (probably the best tuna steak I've ever eaten). Gallerani's was tasty, but the hostess pissed me off to the point of no return when she seated an 8-top before us after telling them it would be 45 minutes and after telling us it would be 15 minutes. Cunt. Fat ugly bleach-blonde ignorant bitch. I hated her. Jesus that pissed me off. Anyway, the food was still nice, but we only had time for entrees by the time we were actually seated.
I cooked a few times, making simple dinners of barbecue chicken & corn, peach cobblers (a summer favorite of mine), and breakfasts to start our day. I love feeding people too - it makes me feel better to see that others are fed & happy - I'm such a mom that way. Hmmm.
///
We went to see Varla Jean Merman on Sunday night with our friends Brian & Michael, and it was the only fight I had with Robert. I went back to the condo after dinner to change clothes, since we were planning to go to Purgatory that night for dancing, and I was dressed way too preppy. Plus, it was taking me a bit longer to walk with the fucked up feet (Advil, take me away). Since seating is 1st come, 1st seated, I urged them to go wait in line as soon as dinner was done. When I finished hobbling back into town after a quick costume change (jeans & a sleeveless black tee - tres simple, no?), I search the front of the line, walk up to the front of the stairs to see if they're there - but nada. I go to the back of the line & there they are! Instead of waiting in line, RJ had gone shopping. I was not amused, as he Knows how much I love Varla Jean (I think she's one of the best comedy acts out there - and undoubtedly the best drag show I've ever seen), and I did not want to be sitting all the way in the back of the Post Office Cabaret. Anyway, I was a shrieking harpy and a shit, giving him way too hard a time...and in front of Brian. He weathered it well though, and we made up later.
He didn't end up going to Purgatory with Michael, Brian and me though. I made the "walk" from the dance floor around the bar to the front about 5 or 6 times in the 3 hours I was there, but no Robert to be found.
I did, however, find some very friendly boys from Providence, RI. Ed, Walter & Scott were a lot of fun. I met them going into the bathroom, which has a very low threshold at the door & I promptly conked my head. One of them said, "Are you okay?", to which I promptly asked him to kiss it & make it better, which he did, and it was. My eyes, however, were more focussed on Ed, who was pretty sizzling hot in leather pants & a white cowboy hat. Grrr...Woof...Yum I love a nice, tightly-fitting pair of leather pants on a man & something about a cowboy hat does it for me too. So, I ended up dancing with them most of the night - flirting and having lots of fun. Ed & Walter came back over to the condo about 2 am to meet Robert, but he was too sleepy to be much company, so we said our goodbyes & they went back to the camper they were staying in with friends (how fun - a camper/trailer!). Ah well, hopes of a hot & nasty 4-gie were dashed, but that's ok - RJ & I had some really good sex the rest of the week to make up for it.
///
Gene & Jim came in on Wednesday afternoon to stay with us until Saturday - bringing with them the sun & gorgeous weather the rest of the week. It's always great to spend time with both of them, and we really had a ball with them there.
On Thursday we rented bikes & Mark (habiby), who is spending the summer in P'town, took us on a tour of P'town & the bike trails. We had fun seeing the amazing views, reading & hearing about the history of the town, the ecology & the dunes, plus it was a spectacular day - just perfect for biking. Normally (in the City) I wear a helmet, but up there we decided to forego the helmet & it was nice feeling the wind on my head, and it was of course a good leg workout :)
Gene always makes me laugh (& think) with his wry observations & clever sense of humor. Jim makes me smile and laugh with his infectious laugh & "right?" We had a great time, and even got to celebrate Gene's birthday with dinner at The Red Inn, with Lea Delaria singing to another birthday guest a few tables over.
///
Friday saw another gorgeous day - this time spent at the Boat Slip pool - with plenty of frozen cocktails & my trashy flashy bathing suit (square cut but with prominent package display (with a bit of additional help from my new neoprene cockring bought at MG Leather) and ass shaping - Kurt, I'll have to give you the name since you can't seem to find one that does both).
We topped off the day with a bonfire on the beach at Herring Cove, watching a gorgeous sunset, seeing the stars come out as the night got darker, and meeting some fun boys (who all seemed impossibly young - Lincoln was celebrating his 25th birthday and was very fond of the phrase "right on!"). It was my first bonfire on a beach, and a lovely on at that!
///
Saturday rolled around, and we packed up the car (of course, I had taken into account the additional items & packed accordingly), and drove to the Catskills, rather than back to the City. We had a lovely afternoon in perfect weather at the house, did laundry & generally unwound from the drive & got ourselves ready to face the City again. It was a perfect ending to a great week.
///
Now, here I am back in the office. I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the 9/11 events, newscasts, stories, plans and general fever. I don't really want to think about it all right now, but it will be here in 2 days, so I guess I'll not have much choice. Right now, I'd rather think about lying on the beach, the sun baking my body, the dog & boyfriend curled up on the beach blanket, seagulls calling in the distance, and friends and love surrounding us on a beautiful vacation.
posted by Rob Cordell
9:11 AM
<

|