truvy 
  corner   



HOME

ARCHIVES


"There are some pretty sick tickets in this town!" - and baby, I'm just one of them!

 

Friday, September 27, 2002

 

Dancin' and Learnin' and Swimmin' and Drinkin'

Wednesday night brought a slightly-dreaded audition for the Chorus' new dance troup. Instead of auditions for each concert, there is now a team that will initially be for the concerts, but will also do other smaller shows, outreach & performances (DRA maybe? we'll have to see - G-d, what I would give to be as good as those dancers). Well, although I thought I'd do alright on the jazz dance portion (and I did), the other half of the audition was tap. T-A-P. I have never attempted tap, much less feel that I could get through the audition.
Well, the jazz portion was fun and sassy, with a latin beat and some moves borrowed from other famous Brett (our choreographer) numbers, and I had a pretty decent showing. The tap portion was actually a combination from the upcoming Holiday concert show, and at times I wanted to walk out in frustration. But, Brett made it non-threatening and everyone was supportive, and I did have 1 major consolation: I will not be dancing this concert anyway due to my extensive absences from Australia. There's no way to miss 4 rehearsals when learning dance moves - just can't be done (well, not by me that is).
So, I was cast in the troup and will be a swing for this concert, to which I'm very much looking forward. I'll take a few tap lessons that I bought at a charity auction, if for nothing else to learn the vocabulary (shuffle, fa-lap, falafel? whatever). I have a new appreciation for tap, but I still don't really like it. One of the other guys cast is a board member of the Chorus, and not a singing member - I've got a major crush working up on that one - adorable as the day is long and quite a good dancer. He has a boyfriend (like me), so it's going to be one of those nice, safe crushes - like I have on a few other Chorus members. You know who you are...
Besides that, on Thursday & Friday I was at a CLE (continuing legal education - yes, we still continue to learn about this glorious *cough ahem belch* profession) conference. Since my current employer has a policy of no longer paying for CLE courses, I need to take them where I can get them for free - thus a trip to one of my favorite law firms for yesterday afternoon & this morning. But my boss was all freaked that more than 1 of us was out of the office at once & is still throwing a bit of a fit - I think there's something else to it, but oh well - whatever. We'll just wait this one out.
I also swam up a storm last night at practice - I managed to kick some ass in my lane by moving up to the front. You know, I get more than a little perturbed by people who are obviously good swimmers but who've never bothered to learn all 4 strokes. This one guy in our lane is a Very fast freestyle swimmer, but kind of sucked ass on the other parts. Oh well, whatever.
I'm currently trying to decide between a "farmer john" style triathlon wetsuit or a full tri-westsuit. I'm concerned with 2 things: if the water is cold, will the farmer john (that's without sleeves - think overalls looking - and you're pretty much there) not give me enough warmth; and 2. will the full wetsuit hinder my swimming by binding my arms & limiting my stroke? Anyone with advice, please let me know! I've called all over NYC, and the clerks at the sporting goods stores all suck - no one knows anything about the water temp. recommendations or can tell me anything beyond what's on the websites for Orca & O'Neill.
You know, I feel all butch talking about triathlons. I think I'm going to register for a sprint distance one here in NYC (& the surrounding area). Why the hell not? So I can't run for shit - it's only a 5k.
I'm sure those of you who know me are amused by the butch'ish outbursts ("who does she think she's kidding", they're wondering aloud as their boss passes by & they quickly flip the screen to something innocuous like Bloomberg.com.



<



This page is powered by Blogger.