|
HOME
ARCHIVES
"There are some pretty sick tickets in this town!" - and baby, I'm just one of them!
|
|
Tuesday, September 17, 2002
Chorus of choices
There are a few auditions coming up for the Chorus, and I'm trying to make up my mind about what to do.
1. A new dance group is being formed that will be a driving force behind the increased production value we've experienced in the past year or so. I do plan to audition for this. I've been in every dance production the Chorus has done except one since I joined, and I think I have a pretty good shot at this. The choreographer told me this past weekend that I've become a much better dancer in the past year and 1/2, and is encouraging me to take dance class outside the Chorus activities. I like dancing, and think this would be fun.
2. Uptown Express. The pops group of the Chorus, Uptown has always impressed me with their sound, productions and overall feel. A current member encouraged me to audition, but I'm not sure. First, I openly acknowledge that my weakest point is my voice. It's okay, but nothing great, and it's not real easy to stay on the right pitch when someone else is singing in your ear. It comes down to I just don't know if I'm talented enough to do it, and assuming I did get it, I wouldn't want to be the "weakest link" in Uptown. I qualify for the cute "look" of Uptown (which is a bit Boy Band but longer in the tooth, if you will, and you will), and I can do the relatively simple choreography they do (think cabaret, think Brady Bunch singers), but when it comes to a solid, pleasing voice... I dunno.
Rehearsals are Mondays full Chorus, Tuesdays Uptown & Wednesdays dance - so I could physically do all 3, but I don't think I'd want that level of time commitment.
I've also been a bit interested in some non-Chorus activities (*gasp!*).
I'd love to try out for the gay cheerleading group here in New York. I always wanted to be a cheerleader (yes, I know that says a lot, but hey, I grew up in Atlanta & Dallas - Cheerleading is BIG down there), and I even tried out for JV cheerleader at SMU, but didn't make it - probably because I was too fey. But, I used to be able to tumble pretty well, and with some spotting & practice, I'm sure I could be doing back tucks and round-off back handsprings in no time. The NYSP had tryouts last January, so I'm guessing they'll have them again maybe this coming January.
I'd love to join the Gay Gotham Volleyball league, if they have a "you suck but you're tall so you can be in the front" division.
I'm also interested in swimming more - maybe on the gay swim team? I know several people who do this, and they all seem to love it.
Also, if we do go to Tunisia, I'd like to take a brush-up conversational Arabic course. I still remember some basics, and I'm sure digging out my flashcards for vocabulary would help, but there's nothing like hearing it and speaking a language. Maybe a course at the New School, or some good tapes.
I don't know - I'm feeling like I'm entering into a transitive phase (if you'll excuse the borrowing of grammar terminology, and you will). With RJ's graduation, I feel like I need to do something as well - start something new, explore, change. Maybe I need a new job. Maybe I need to get corrective surgery on my eyes. Maybe I need to design my post-reign jewelry - okay, I'll do that anyway, cause Mama likes her some fabulous jewels.
Maybe it's like I read in Michael's reflections on 9/11 - Maybe I need to stop doing a job that doesn't fulfill me and doesn't make a difference and start doing something that would make a difference, both in my life and in others' lives.
Reality check Rob - you have a good job, a partner you love, a truly wonderful dog, a great apartment, a peaceful house in the country, a mother & sister that love and support you...
Yeah, I know. It's just - with all that, why do I feel so fucking empty sometimes?
Well, maybe I can address all that after I've finished paying off my loans I took out for law school. Until then, I think I'll just keep busy - so much to choose from in a City this size...so much.
posted by Rob Cordell
1:29 PM
<

|