truvy 
  corner   



HOME

ARCHIVES


"There are some pretty sick tickets in this town!" - and baby, I'm just one of them!

 

Tuesday, August 20, 2002

 

Sometimes my life is an episode of Will & Grace

Okay, so how typical of a professional-in-the-City-fag-attorney am I? Pretty fucking typical, but I'm embracing that right now.
Last night I left work at 5:30 (snuck my ass out the door) and made a bee-line for the Barney's Warehouse Sale. I had about an hour to shop, because I was meeting 2 friends from law school - well, 1 friend and 1 acquaintance that the 2 of us always thought was both cute and closeted (more on him later). I started to get this whole "justification", feeling guilty for shopping thing, but fuck it, okay? As far as justification, I shop now & then, but overall haven't bought real work clothes for quite a while, and all my work shoes have been re-soled twice, which is pretty much the limit on useful life of a shoe - once I wear through these soles they're going in the garbage. It's literally been 4 or 5 years since I bought work shoes, and for those of you who don't live in NYC, we do LOTS of walking here, so they get quite a workout.
Anyway, I bought 4 pair of shoes (including 1 pair of cha-cha sandals), 13 shirts, 1 pair of slacks and an extra cummerbund. Nothing I bought (save the cummerbund & sandals) can't be worn at work, and I love every damn shirt & swooned over the shoes, so hundreds of dollars on the 0%-interest-until-February-'03 credit card later, I left the Barney's sale w/ a complete rush of exhilaration! I had a total fucking shopper's high that left me giddy for hours & still makes me happy today. Plus, the clothes & shoes will last forever (okay, so I had to sneak in some justification - it's in my nature).
Plus gentle reader, you'll be proud that I didn't come home & hide them in the closet like I used to (ok, so I did at first), but instead showed them all to Robert after dinner.
Anyway, while shopping I felt like a cross between Will & Grace - wanting someone to bounce the "look" off of, but then knowing that I'd only listen to myself in the long run anyway. Just to be safe, I kept away from any "girl" jeans and anything that would take some sort of "explanation"!
Afterward, I meet Paul & the other guy (we refer to him as "pillowlips") at Half King - on 23rd & 10th - for a drink. Very pub-like, and I really liked the place - good beer on tap & nice atmosphere. So pillowlips - the cute closeted one - is just so gay I can't stand it - if he said "my girlfriend" 1 more time, I was going to kiss him just to make him shut up. I am Beyond that stage where I think that everyone's gay, and No, of course I don't know for sure if pillowlips is or not, but I would start eating red meat again if you could prove me wrong. He also discussed a few times how he doesn't want kids, and Paul & I were looking at each other like, "Yeah, cause you don't want to fuck your girlfriend missy!"
I'm sure Jack & Karen could come up w/ some evil but hilarious plan to "gently" out the pillow-lipped wonder.
I met RJ for dinner on the way home, and he brought the dog, so we ate outside, which was only mildly uncomfortable with the heat & humidity. Thank goodness for the break in the heatwave today - NYC in the heat is dirty, smelly & oppressive, and it just might have driven me indoors - driven me back into the waiting arms of the Barney's sales staff...



<



This page is powered by Blogger.