truvy 
  corner   



HOME

ARCHIVES


"There are some pretty sick tickets in this town!" - and baby, I'm just one of them!

 

Friday, August 23, 2002

 

100 Things

Okay, you and you inspired me this morning, so here goes - 100 things about me:

1. I was born in North Carolina
2. I've lived in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Marietta, Georgia, Plano & Dallas, Texas and New York City, New York.
3. At 10 years, I've now lived in NYC longer than any other place.
4. I started to come out at 16 & had 2 boyfriends in quick succession.
5. The 2nd boyfriend was 24.
6. He was also (I learned) Miss Gay USA 1995.
7. I freaked out & jumped back into the closet until I was 20.
8. I lived in Spain for a semester in college & deeply regret not being Out in Madrid.
9. I sing 2nd Tenor with the New York City Gay Men's Chorus.
10. My mom was a beauty queen.
11. Now I'm Queen of the Chorus (following in Mama's footsteps - just a slightly larger pump) and my drag name is Miss Anne Thrope.
12. I started dressing in drag at a young age, mostly because my Mama had fabulous clothes.
13. At the age of 9 or 10 I fooled my sister into thinking I was the Avon Lady.
14. I'm not all about being a drag queen.
15. I have equal amounts of fun in leather as I do in drag.
16. I find leather guys hot hot hot.
17. My partner is not a leather guy (but I find him hot too - I have no particular "type").
18. I have extremely eclectic tastes in music.
19. I am an attorney.
20. I am out at work.
21. I don't much like my job, but I don't hate it either, I'm pretty good at what I do & it pays the bills.
22. I'd love to figure what I want to be when I grow up.
23. I remember my dreams vividly quite often, and it is most often very disturbing.
24. I dreamt I was Michael from Queer as Folk last night, and I killed Brian by strangling him, and then his spirit gave me a humongous ass-whooping, then Michael & Brian turned into me (Michael) and my partner, and I had killed him. His ghost (now my partner's spirit/ghost) punished me by forcing me to kill myself - he wouldn't let me overdose as the easy way out - he forced me to shoot myself in the head with a silver 45 - it was very bloody & I died.
25. Yes, I think I have some issues to deal with, that's why I started therapy this year.
26. I don't know if I really believe in therapy, but I'm trying to be sincere & give it a shot.
27. My favorite movies include Heathers, The Women & Women of the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown.
28. I used to be fluent in Spanish, but now am only proficient.
29. I have also studied French, Portuguese, Arabic & Croatian.
30. If I could figure out how to make a living, I'd study languages & travel for the rest of my life.
31. I have been in love 6 or 7 times... it's hard to tell sometimes.
32. I am very happy in my current relationship (and definitely still in love) & adore my partner (most of the time).
33. I am passionate about equal rights for queers.
34. I like the word "queer" because it's much easier than Gay Bisexual Lesbian Transgendered Two-Spirited whatever else.
35. Sometimes I have very un-PC thoughts, mostly due to my Southern upbringing.
36. I am versatile & love sex.
37. I have one sister who is 20 months older than me.
38. I graduated college before she did, which kind of pissed her off I think.
39. My sister calls me Truvy (among lots of other names).
40. I would consider moving out of NYC if my partner got a job elsewhere.
41. I'd only move to LA, SF, DC, Miami, Seattle, &/or maybe Atlanta.
42. I've had mixed feelings about being Queen of the Chorus - sometimes fun & sometimes a lot of work.
43. I strive to find drag dresses that will not cause me to shave my chest.
44. I was a fat kid.
45. I will probably always see myself as fat, even though I'm trying hard to get the body of death I've always dreamed of.
46. I still do some drugs & think they're fun, but really try not to go overboard with them (sometimes I do).
47. I love going to circuit parties, although I'm not really the typical "circuit boy", as I don't really know how to interact with the "A-list" crowd & always feel left out & on the outside of all that.
48. I have a house in the Catskills.
49. If I were more conservative, I would have paid off my law school loans instead of buying a house, but I did it in kind of a spur-of-the-moment thing, which was scary but exhilarating.
50. I am a Cancer.
51. I am an INTJ in the Myers-Briggs personality test (although I take strong measures to be an E, it's not the "real" me).
52. I want to get my "chart" done.
53. I care deeply about some of my fellow bloggers & occasionally feel a bit embarrassed about my feelings for people whom I might not recognize on the street & wonder if I'm lacking emotionally somehow & this is how I compensate for it.
54. I'm kind of bossy.
55. Last year's Chorus Queen calls me Miss Bossy Britches (sometimes).
56. I don't have very many true friends, but lots and lots of acquaintances.
57. I am working on developing good friendships, but sometimes I'm at a loss of how to do that.
58. My father died when I was 17 of a heart attack - 5 days before I graduated from high school.
59. I hate when people learn that and then ask, "Were you close?". I think that's a really stupid question.
60. I read the New Yorker.
61. The only other magazines I subscribe to are Men, Freshmen, Out & Instinct.
62. I do not think that prostitution is wrong or immoral.
63. I used to go to Lisa Loeb's shows in New York before she hit the big time.
64. I "dated" one of her best friends, who had been dating one of my ex-boyfriends & then we had a 3-way & dropped the ex.
65. I love 3-ways & 4-gies - the more the merrier as long as everyone is enjoying himself.
66. I've never had sex with a woman & have no desire to do so.
67. I would like to be able to play a musical instrument & would like to play the piano & cello.
68. We have a piano in both the apartment & the house in the Catskills.
69. I have a Welsh Terrier named Rowan, who is 3 years old.
70. I adore my dog, but I think if I were to get another it would be from a shelter, because the number of animals that are destroyed each year because they're unwanted breaks my heart.
71. I am an aggressive & fast, but safe driver.
72. I have very little patience behind the wheel, but I'm working on that.
73. I curse like a sailor sometimes, while at other times "gee whiz" is honestly the first thing that comes out of my mouth.
74. I want to get married and it's not just to register for gifts & have a big party, although both have much to be said for.
75. I love Tex-Mex food & miss the really good places in Dallas like Uncle Julio's & Papacito's.
76. I was a waiter for 2 years in Dallas & was very good at it.
77. I've been in love with more than 1 person at a time, but do not recommend it.
78. I love to SCUBA dive & feel so free under the water.
79. I've broken my ankle.
80. I had 3 surgeries in 3 years on my knee, appendix & bottom of my spine.
81. I've been to 13 foreign countries: Canada, Mexico, Argentina, Peru, Spain, France, England, Italy, Lebanon, Greece, Turkey, Cyprus & Australia.
82. I am currently listening to Dolly Parton's "Stairway to Heaven" on repeat every time I'm home.
83. I harbor dreams of being a country star, a broadway dancer & singer, or some sort of big star.
84. My close mentor & teacher in high school was a bit of a mystic, and she sat me down once after my father died and told me things about my future.
85. Some of those things have happened & on others I'm waiting.
86. I believe in psychics, fortune tellers & in forces unseen - call them spirits, God or gods, or whatever you want - I don't believe that the physical plane on which we experience this life is all there is.
87. I am pretty sure my mom & I saw UFOs one night from my bedroom window in Texas, and we've rarely discussed it, because neither of us really knows what to make of it.
88. I sleep with a pillow I've had since birth, called "piddoo".
89. Until I went to the Barney's sale recently, I'd spent way more on drag this year than I did on boy clothes, which was beginning to worry me a little.
90. I name my cars, and they've been: Marilyn (a '66 Ford Fairlane 500), Jacquelynne (Jackie for short - a black Hyundai GS), Alex (a Jeep Cherokee), LaToya la Toyota (Camry), and Blake (Chevy Blazer).
91. I stopped eating red meat in the summer of 1987, but I'm considering starting again.
92. I love to cook, but have a fairly limited standard repertoire.
93. I am part Lebanese & love to cook Lebanese food.
94. My favorite tv shows are Queer as Folk, Alias & Witchblade.
95. I have 2 tattoos - one of my fraternity (Kappa Sigma) on my ankle & a Welsh dragon on my shoulder.
96. I want at least 2 more tattoos - one on my other shoulder & one on the middle of my upper back.
97. Every time I grow my goatee, it comes in with more and more gray - I'm only 32.
98. I write a holiday letter every year that's 2 pages with all sorts of information & news of what I did the previous year - my friends both like it & make fun of me for it, so I continue to torture them with it each year.
99. I get very cranky when I'm hungry.
100. I strongly advocate for a nap-room at work.

Bloggers - if you want to participate in the 100 Things about 100 Bloggers - see The Yankee Blogger for more info!



<



This page is powered by Blogger.