truvy 
  corner   



HOME

ARCHIVES


"There are some pretty sick tickets in this town!" - and baby, I'm just one of them!

 

Monday, August 26, 2002

 

100 things redux

Okay, so Yankee Blogger is posting the 100 Things by 100 Bloggers in 100 Days, and I feel like I've been categorized.
True, he asked for those submitting to send a photo, and I sent on from the Pride March this year (in drag), and true, several of my 100 things were about drag, but I don't think my blog or my entry can be narrowed down to "this Drag queen once fooled his sister into thinking he was the Avon lady & has a hard time finding dresses to cover his hairy chest."
Um, while both of those things are mostly true (I didn't say I have a hard time finding dresses that cover my hairy chest, but rather that I strive to buy those that don't cause me to shave my chest... see the difference?), I hate to think that I've been reduced to that - a drag queen emulsion reduction if you will - to serve over the top of a lovely grilled swordfish. (ok, so the New Yorker's food issue has had a slight effect on me this week).
I have to stop myself & ask, "Do others view me as a drag queen?"
I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, but it just comes as a surprise. Yes, I'm the current Queen of the NYCGMC, and I've had many more obligations & times to dress in drag this year than in past years, but folks, truthfully I'm counting the days until December when I get to pass this crown on to someone else. I've enjoyed it, but I've had about enough. I still have a few times this fall that I'll be appearing as Anne, and of course at the Chorus retreat in December I'll be going out with a bang & that will be very drag intensive (not like running for Queen, but still intense).
I don't know.
Do you see me as just a drag queen?
What about attorney?
What about proud parent of a lovely dog?
What about partnered gay man (DINKs - Dual Income no Kids)?
What is my label?
How am I seen by others?
Do I need a label, or is that just the human tendency to categorize and shelf & forget?
How would you categorize or label, for example, Bradford.... or Kurt.... or Michael?
These are 3 very different men - all gay white men, but with loads of differences.
Well, whatever - I did say in my 100 things that "I'm not all about being in drag" & that I have equal amounts of fun in leather as in drag. It's all about dress up - about putting on a veneer & showing the world what you want them to see & letting them draw a certain conclusion.
I suppose I do that every day - I show people what I want them to see & cultivate a look, an attitude, a way of interacting that I know will influence how they interpret, view, see & judge me.
And sister, don't go putting your hand up in the air saying "I don't judge you...who am I to judge?", cause we all know that we judge constantly - our interpretations change as we learn more about individuals or groups, and sometimes the particular will color the general & sometimes it's the other way around - but we need to judge to allow what we know to take effect - to allow us to make at least semi-informed decisions about how we're going to lead our lives & interact with others.
Ah, that was more involved than I had planned.
But do you get what I'm getting at, dear reader?
Judge me - go ahead, but take into account as much information as you can while you do so, and if you have to categorize me, fine - but know this - I defy your labels and categorizations.
Just when you think you can pin me down, I might surprise you.



<



This page is powered by Blogger.