|
HOME
ARCHIVES
"There are some pretty sick tickets in this town!" - and baby, I'm just one of them!
|
|
Wednesday, May 01, 2002
Tex-As
Ah, just back from 4 days in Tex-Ass, taking care of the Mama. Poor dear, she's about out of her mind not being able to do anything - no driving, no bending over, no picking up anything over 5 lbs. (that includes her mop of a dog), no strenuous physical activity. On top of that, she's still in loads of pain from the surgery, but it's only been 3 weeks, so we can't expect miracles overnight, although she certainly does. From a medical point of view (suspend your disbelief here), I think she's actually doing okay. She has tremendous swelling on her hip, where they sliced her open 8", cut & burned through flesh & drilled through her hip bone/pelvis to harvest marrow, but the swelling isn't extraordinary, and should largely go away within the next month. The incision on her throat is along a line, so it doesn't look so bad, but still, at 8 1/2", it's a bit gory. I was glad Mama has to wear a brace for another 6 weeks so that she doesn't scare herself looking at her slashed throat.
Okay, gore aside, we had fun. We went shopping for summer flowers, and I pulled up all her pansies, then planted begonias, zinnia, gerber daisies, portulaca (moss rose), and a pretty vibrant-pink hybiscus. Her back & front yards are now alive with color, and these flowers are all pretty hardy & should last until the first frost, even through the harsh heat of a Texas summer.
We watched the Gilda Radner, "It's Always Something" movie on Monday night (predictable, but still entertaining, and it's nice to see Jamie Gertz, known to those of my generation as Muffy Teperman on Square Pegs, and the coke-addict model in Less Than Zero [incidentally one of the favorite films of my dark and dramatic youth], working again).
We shipped a mirror up to the house that Mama has had since she was a little girl in South Carolina. I shopped & cooked lots, which I always find relaxing & rewarding. Generally, we had a good time, although I am still concerned with her recovery & progress. The doctor says she's on schedule & the effects and pains are to be expected, but, well, a son worries I guess.
Anywho, good to be back in NYC, and sleeping in my own bed next to RJ, and of course cuddling up with the world's best dog, Rowan. Ah, I love being home.
posted by Rob Cordell
11:59 AM
<

|