truvy 
  corner   



HOME

ARCHIVES


"There are some pretty sick tickets in this town!" - and baby, I'm just one of them!

 

Tuesday, May 21, 2002

 

So much

Howdy readers. So much to blog about, so little time in the day.
Let's start with last Thursday, when I went to see "Into the Woods" with RJ, Sheldon & Chris. I met the boys there (them having dined beforehand, me having stopped at Hagen Daz when I figured out I had an extra 10 minutes and guiltily but happily ate a scoop of chocolate chocolate chip - heaven) and we had decent tickets in the center orchestra. I was very excited, not least because RJ had never seen it, and I loved the production I had seen way back when at the Dallas Summer Musicals, and the original cast recording with Bernadette et al. I adored the set, with the giant story-telling books: very clever and very well executed. It took me about 25 minutes to stop comparing everything to the original (oh, BP phrased that so much better, etc.), but when I did, I liked it a lot. Vanessa Williams has to be one of the most beautiful women in history, and she was lovely in the role (after the witch makeup came off, of course). Cinderella was also quite good, and deserved her nomination, and the Princes were great - very hammy, handsome and nice voices. The Baker & His Wife were great, and Milky White (the cow) was wonderful - very fun to watch, and the physical comedy he performed was well done. On the other hand, Jack, his mother, and Red Riding Hood left much to be desired, but I didn't hate them so much that it ruined the show or anything. The wolf was good too, but frankly, the wolf's costume was a bit too horror show/ American Werewolf in London - it was creepy for no good reason (yeah, the wolf is "scary", but more in a funny way, not in a "gross, he looks like a werewolf" way). It was a fun night, and even Red's lackluster whiny voice couldn't ruin a fun line like "Well, excited and scared!", which is a line I tend to sing often.
Saturday morning brought a great workout at the gym, with me in a ridiculously good mood for some reason (a bit hopped up on coffee and Sudafed I guess). I then decided that what Anne had originally intended to wear to the Chorus fundraiser/Garden Party in Bronxville wasn't quite right, so I chose another dress and set out to look for a scarf or a shawl to pull the whole thing together. After checking 4 places, I found the perfect blue silk shawl at Tibetan Treasures on Christopher. Sure it was more than I wanted to spend, but ah well, it's pretty, and matched the embroidery in the pink linen sundress. I also found a hat at Loehman's that was pale green & "natural" beige'ish, that also pulled out the green in the embroidery of the dress. Wrapping it together were a pair of fun shoes that change between butterflies and flowers depending on the angle you look at them, and a pink beaded necklace, earrings, bracelet set. Driving up to Westchester in drag was fun, but no one seemed to notice, really, after I got in the car (big drag queen in a big SUV). The party was a great success, and very enjoyable, with a diverse crowd of Chorus supporters. I drove back with habiby Mark, which was fun to catch up w/ him and hear more of his plans for the summer in P'town.
When I got home, I did some major unwinding by doing a whole mess of laundry and ordering in dinner w/ RJ and watching a TiVo'd Alias. We were both distraught to find, though, that somehow we fucked up the recording of the SEASON FINALE and recorded an hour of blank darkness. HELP! Does anyone have a tape of the final episode?? Jennifer Garner, if you're out there, help us! I think it's the best thing on network t.v. BY FAR right now. I am even agreeing with Beau that Will & Grace might have jumped the shark with the whole baby thing. Tired, sad, boring, stupid. I hope it revives itself from this horrid story line. Not that I think babies are horrid, please! But I think it's dying a Murphy Brown death now.



<



This page is powered by Blogger.