|
HOME
ARCHIVES
"There are some pretty sick tickets in this town!" - and baby, I'm just one of them!
|
|
Monday, April 22, 2002
Let's talk about sex baby
Okay, I'm not really really making fun of the entire sex abuse scandal happening in the Catholic Church right now.
2 things for me to say before I get to the funny part:
1. Any child abused either physically, emotionally or sexually is wrong, and everything possible that can be done to stop it must be done. Caveat -
I agree with some people that sexuality develops at a fairly young age, and that sex with a 16 year-old (in a state where the age of consent is 18) should not be a crime, or at least not as serious as sex or abuse of an 8 year-old (but that's about the extent of what I think I will agree with in Ms. Levine's new book). I, for one, starting having sex at the age of 16. My first boyfriend was 17, my second was 24. Were the 24 year-old's actions "criminal"? Technically, yes, but then again, so were the 17 year-old's and MINE, because we lived in Texas where you couldn't then legally suck cock. And that was the first time I really had sex, that doesn't count all the times I jerked off with friends or played doctor or postman or whatever else - usual childhood sexual exploration - nothing earth-shattering, but sexual nonetheless.
2. I think this entire "blow-up" is fueled by the media. I'm not a huge defender of the Catholic Church, but you know, this has been happening for a very long time, why the media frenzy now? I have known and do know a lot of priests, both straight and gay, who are wonderful people, who care very deeply about their ministry and about the Church's overarching message of love and peace. I think this recent media frenzy campaign is sensationalist. I think it's going to bring forth a lot of false accusations along with the true ones, and I think the added scrutiny it's going to cause all priests will have a deleterious effect on their mission and their ministry.
Again, please see Note 1 above. Child abuse is Wrong, there is no excuse for it, EVER. I in no way advocate sex with children. However, I do think that the media frenzy is also Wrong, and that a lot of good priests who have never done anything wrong are going to be hurt in the process. I also think that the age of consent should be 16 in every state. If you're old enough to drive, you're old enough to make an educated decision about your sexual activity. Hand in hand with that would necessarily be that sex education be mandatory at schools. Knowledge is power, and if you don't teach them about the consequences, they're going to do it anyway and then be mystified why they're pregnant, have HIV, STDs, etc.
Okay, all that seriousness aside, take a look at this (thanks to Cissy for the link): "Yeah Timmy, hold the bat just like this..." Funny and just a little perverse if you're looking at it through the lens of the recent frenzy. "Jesus loves me this I know, for he often tells me so..."
posted by Rob Cordell
7:20 AM
<

|