|
HOME
ARCHIVES
"There are some pretty sick tickets in this town!" - and baby, I'm just one of them!
|
|
Friday, February 22, 2002
There's gold in them there Necks!
SARAH! Our little Sarah Hughes from Great Neck, LI, NY has won the gold! I am such a big girl about figure skating, or is it that I just let myself be swept away by the crazed passion the world seems to get for women's figure skating once every 4 years? I laugh at myself as I sit there transfixed, totally glued to the screen watching triple flips, lutzes, toe loops, and cringe and cry out (or smile in the case of Sasha Cohen) when they stumble or fall. I find it kind of amusing that I read up on the skaters' backgrounds, refresh my hazy knowledge of the differences between the jumps, what to look for, etc. as if I follow this stuff all the time, just because I used to skate 3 or 4 times a week my senior year in high school.
I suppose it really becomes a bit of a soap opera after a while, but I am SO happy that Sarah won! I am really upset for Michelle, but of all the competitors I think she can handle this the best, as she so gracefully and wonderfully accepted her bronze last night. It's like a fairy tale - girl ties real hard, keeps a fabulous attitude, doesn't try to run over her teammates and competitors in warm ups (bitch trog Sasha) and then delivers a fabulous wonderful exciting daring wunderbar performance for the gold medal! Hurray for her! Hurray for all of us! And let this be a lesson to all of us, you get no where by being a bitch. I should try to remember that now & then.
Okay - hysteria & nonsense water cooler commentary aside, it was a great night of skating - full of drama & excitement - HUGE for ratings and a big fat money-maker for NBC on the ads. I totally sign on for that shit - rock on!
We now return you to our regularly scheduled freakshow called my life.
posted by Rob Cordell
5:17 AM
<

|